Seminar: Professional writing in English reports
Using concise formulation to deliver complex content.
Clear, succinct writing is the key to conveying your message professionally. It is vital for achieving good results in your cooperation with counterparts and is also a hallmark of the quality of your work.
In this seminar, you will learn which factors are important for creating a reader-friendly text and how you can apply them in your particular field. You will learn how to structure your content and present it transparently, making it accessible for your audience.
You will receive input regarding correct language use and have numerous opportunities to develop your writing skills throughout the day. You will also receive personal feedback on your current level of writing, as well as a recommendation for the next important step for you.
Seminar objectives: Participants of this seminar
- receive structured input regarding the appropriate choice and organisation of content for their written material,
- review sample texts that highlight examples of good and poor-quality writing,
- produce their own texts “live” and receive individual feedback from the trainer regarding their potential for development,
- share feedback with peers in order to maximise learning in the group and
- test the effectiveness of their writing with an “acid test” – what did the native/non-native reader understand?
Duration: 1 – 2 days, e.g. 9:00am – 5:00pm
The seminar will provide guidelines to develop your skills with the following points of focus:
- Put it in a nutshell: Formulate core statements and messages with a “no-waste” policy
- Structure with purpose: Guide your reader easily through complex content
- Get it right: Avoid common mistakes and syntax errors, make appropriate use of tenses
- Develop your eloquence: Use appropriate register and terminology
- Keep it clear: Avoid ambiguous statements
Handbook, quick reference cards and seminar service
- Detailed seminar handbook and handouts with exercises
- A5 quick reference cards as a brief summary
- Supplementary material and photographic minutes by email
- Support after the seminar: simply by email or using the Knowledge Blog – participants are welcome to ask questions and request tips after the seminar
Your communication skills trainer:
Cameron Paul. Communication Skills Trainer and Coach. Cameron Paul studied German, French and Japanese in New Zealand, during his Master’s degree he specialised in translation into his native language, English. After completing his certification in the training of English as a foreign language, he worked in New Zealand, Japan, France and England as a trainer, finally settling to work for companies in Munich as an English trainer and translator.
For more than twenty years Cameron has worked freelance in and around Munich both as a trainer of individuals and groups and as a translator of training materials, manuals and various published books. His fields of experience include the automotive industry (technical and managerial development), the chemistry industry (diagnostics, biochemistry and silicone technologies), lighting and electronic technologies, software development for security systems, psychiatry and psychotherapy, white water training, guiding and safety.
- Qualifications: Bachelor’s degree in German, French and Japanese, Master’s degree French Literature and Translation, Various further qualifications in the field of training, group dynamics and personal development
- Training languages: English, German, French