Working with international partners: developing cultural awareness
Building efficient international teams. Improving cross-border business relationships.
Cultural awareness training programme for anyone whose work sees them interact with stakeholders from different cultural backgrounds. Explore the theory which explains how and why people think and act in different ways in response to the same set of circumstances and challenges.
Seminar objectives: Participants learn how to appreciate the impact culture has on the way we all conduct business and how to celebrate and utilise diversity to create strong, dynamic and effective teams.
Duration: 1 day, e.g. 9:00am – 5:00pm
- Before starting the course, participants identify challenges they have experienced dealing with stakeholders from different cultural backgrounds. How did they manifest themselves and how were they resolved (if, indeed, they were)?
- What is culture?
- Why is cultural awareness important in business?
- There is no ‘right’ or ‘wrong’ way to conduct business, just ‘different’ ways
- The theory of culture
- Comparison between different cultures and the potential clashes in a business scenario – how to avoid them
- Overview of cultural behaviours, dos and don’ts in key target countries
- What are your core values and how are they reflected in your business life? Are they the same/different from your colleagues – internal and external?
- Interactive group discussions around challenging scenarios, reasons and effective resolutions
- Theory trainer input
- Critical thinking
- Analysis of real life case studies
Handbook, quick reference cards and seminar service
- Detailed seminar handbook and handouts with exercises
- A5 quick reference cards as a brief summary
- Supplementary material and photographic minutes by email
- Support after the seminar: simply by email or using the Knowledge Blog – participants are welcome to ask questions and request tips after the seminar
Your communication skills trainers:
During her 25 year career as a writer in the UK, Sarah Gibbons has developed excellent communication skills which have been expertly used in a diverse range of situations, including journalism, public relations and training. Sarah is also a regular contributor of articles to an international lifestyle magazine and author of promotional material for private sector companies. As well as writing traditional press releases for organisations and assisting them with their internal and external communications, Sarah also devises and implements social media strategies and delivers in-house communication training programmes to clients including police, IT companies, business coaches and the automotive industry. Sarah lives in Worcestershire, UK.
- Education: BA degree in American Studies and French, a Certificate in Journalism and a Cert TESOL
- Journalistic experience: Newspaper and magazine reporter and Editor in the UK, international lifestyle feature writer
- Training language: English
- Training topics: Business letter and email writing, Complaint management by letter and email, Press and publicity, Business English language courses, in-company communication workshops
During her 25 year career as a trainer and coach, Jayne George has worked in the UK, Germany, Middle East and India. She has overseen the delivery of business and language training programmes and personal and executive coaching packages covering a wide range of subject areas, working in-house, in specialist schools, in seminars and with private individuals. Jayne’s clients have included business executives from some of the world’s most influential companies, including the automotive, oil and gas, banking, pharmaceutical and retail sectors. Utilising materials relevant to each individual, she has enhanced the capabilities and skills of numerous clients from diverse backgrounds. Fluent in German, Jayne’s multi-lingual talents allow her to deliver her bespoke training and coaching programmes in these languages. Jayne lives in Worcestershire, UK.
- Education: BA degree in French, German and Political Studies and a Cert TESOL, Certificate in Teaching English for Business, Diploma in Executive and Personal Coaching with Distinction
- Training experience: Devising and delivering courses in-house and with individuals from multi-national companies in international locations
- Training language: English or German
- Training/Coaching topics: Cultural Awareness, Leadership Development, International presentations, meetings and negotiations, Business letter and email writing, Business English language courses, Customer Service
Presentation and facilitation:
☐ Presentation skills training
☐ Individual presentation skills coaching
☐ Effective meetings face-to-face and online with Skype
☐ Working with international partners: developing cultural awareness
☐ International negotiations and meetings
☐ Basics of communication and speech
© 2018 uwe freund communications | www.uwefreundcommunications.com